Saturday, April 9, 2011

A bit late

So I’m now officially done school for the summer, I might as well get back to writing here.

The last show I went to was the Protest the Hero show with TesseracT, Veridian Cityscape and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster.

There was another band, but I can’t remember their name and was not impressed enough to care, no offense if anyone knows/likes them. Their sound was terrible, as was their music. If you want to be taken seriously, don’t “hardcore dance” on stage with a keytar.

Veridian Cityscape

I actually bought my second ticket to the show from one of this band’s vocalists, Cody. A very impressive, high energy band that’s great for some heavy times. Not entirely a run-of-the-mill metalcore band, as they have some interesting ideas in their music, but still a brutal metalcoreband. Definitely worth a listen if you like the style, or if you’re in the mood for some energetic and heavy stuff.

TesseracT

I don’t really know what else to say other than I love this band. I first saw them with Devin Townsend last year and they blew me away then, even moreso now that I’ve had a chance to really get to know their music. These guys are really talented all around, with crazy riffs that leave your jaw on the floor. Really nice guys as well, very down to earth, as they were just sitting behind the merchandise area before and after their set, selling their wares and talking to the fans. If you ever get a chance to see these guys: do it. You won’t regret it. These guys really need to go out and do a headlining tour of their own, they deserve it.

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

Honestly, I was not overly impressed with this band either. Their lead guitarist looks like a surfer douche from the 70s. He came out wearing aviators and a wife-beater. Musically these guys are not too shabby, with an interesting southern-rock/metal quality to it, they do keep you interested. That being said, the singer detracts entirely from it and almost kills it entirely. If they got rid of their singer and added someone decent I would definitely keep listening to this band. Being as they are now, I can’t listen to a song for very long without having to turn it off out of annoyance.

Protest the Hero

I’ve liked this band for a while, their album Kezia ranking quite high for a while. Though I was fairly unimpressed overall with the quality of their show. It appeared as though they came out completely wasted, as they were stumbling a bit, and were making a fair amount of sloppy errors while playing the songs (at least I hope the sloppiness was because of drinking, otherwise their albums are nothing but lies). The sound was also very unbalanced, as majority of the time I could hear vocals and drums, but no bass or guitar. The singer came out with a wig on his head, making him look like Zach Galifianakis from The Hangover. Though they did play some great songs that rang out clearly, such as Bloodmeat and Heretics & Killers.

I guess that’s all I really have to say about that show… As a whole it was not the greatest I’ve been to, but seeing TesseracT was more than worth it, as well as the novelty of seeing Protest the Hero, a band I’ve listened to for ages.

In any case, there will be more shows coming up, especially looking forward to seeing the Deftones with Dillinger Escape Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment